Monday, May 09, 2005

Nothing is ever enough

Several posts ago I was complaining about the lack of information that is disseminated to my unit. We constantly felt in the dark, begging to get any morsel of information about the happenings in Iraq. Some very smart folks in the unit took up a collection and purchased a satellite hookup that could assist us to become more informed. Our trusty negotiator spent about 300 dollars on the project which was supposed to include up to 900 cable channels.

Instead of 900 channels, there are closer to 15 channels available and half of those only play music. We do have access to CNN International, but not CNN from the states which tends to give more information about the war in Iraq. Having the opportunity to watch CNNI and get some of the latest information should have been enough to satisfy me, but it wasn't. Instead I was wishing for ESPN, ABC, NBC, CBS or at least the Armed Forces Network.

The same thing has happened with the food. When I was first in training, the unit was expected to eat MREs (Meals Ready to Eat), then we graduated to normal cafeteria food, and then in Iraq we have cafeteria food in a palace. I still catch myself complaining about the food choices. "This steak is too well done, there is no lettuce to make a salad, or these lobster tails are chewy."

Many of the units in the field have to eat MREs or t-rats. T or tray rations are initially warmed, but often are cold by the time they are eaten. Several soldiers have told me they can be a nice break from MREs but more often they are left out all day, covered with flies, and not terribly appetizing.

Keeping all this in mind, I often have to remind myself and others how lucky we are here in the International Zone. Furthermore I am trying my best not to live by the motto that nothing is ever enough.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heidi,
I couldn't log on yesterday; hope you had a good Mother's day. Your Mother's day post below and all the comments esp. Cole's brought tears to my eyes.
Take care.

8:27 PM, May 09, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home