Friday, April 22, 2005

Day Off

Things are starting to heat up in Baghdaddy! (This is my new term of endearment for Club Med Iraq.) The temperature topped out at 95 degrees yesterday and should hit 102 degrees today. For my day off I decided to spend the morning catching some rays by the palace pool. All the loungers around the pool were claimed early in the morning with other sun worshipers feeding their addiction. Luckily my roomate from Fort Bliss showed up early and saved me a chair. She looked like she was on vacation laying out in her swimming suit and reading a book. Civilians, US Air Force and other international forces are allowed to wear swimming suits, but most of the US Army must wear their physical fitness uniforms. All the men take off their shirts and wear the military shorts that are made out of swimming suit material. I took off my shirt and swam in the military sports bra which actually covers up more than most swimming suits.

My first dip into the pool was so cold it took my breath away, but I was able to adjust quickly. The water was cloudy but there was no evidence of moss growing in the pool or fish swimming in it. The two diving platforms were blocked with yellow danger tape. I guess the military doesn't want some drunk person hurting themself on the platforms. Several people were floating aroung in large innertubes. It is amazing when you realize that everyone is swimming in Saddam's pool. Rumors say that the pool was used by Ooday to drown any woman who failed to fulfill his sexual requests. I am sure it would make Saddam angry to see the masses using all of his previous belongings.

Heidi

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you had a day to relax and the water wasn't too cold to swim. It has turned cold here (40 at night and 60 in the day)..I was planning to plant flowers this weekend, but I might change my mind. I know you are doing a good job for the Army...They are lucky to have your expertise. Keep writing the interesting blogs. Your Grandma enjoys them very much. So does everyone else. I sent a couple of boxes today. Hope you are getting some of things we are sending. Love, Mom

3:47 AM, April 23, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grandma loves your blogs. This one about the pool is close to her heart since she swims everyday. Of course their water is pristine and 91 degrees. She thought it was funny that people might not be allowed to wear swimming suits. (I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, both her and Danna conjured up pictures of nude swimmers LOL.). She did want to let you know that if there are fish in the pool don't worry, because they will help keep the water clean. But back to the nude swimmers, I just had a thought. Someone said there are 187 wars going on in the world today. What if everyone in the world was nude, Would there be any wars? Hmmm...maybe it's something to think about.
Stay safe. Love, Chrissie

8:03 PM, April 24, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home