Friday, April 29, 2005

Party

There are times during this war that I am able to forget where I am and enjoy myself without worries. One of these times happened several weeks ago. Prior to her transfer to a very austere marine base in northern Iraq, the psychologist in my unit was guest of honor at a going away party. Several ladies from the WOW support group (Women of War) went out to eat at an authentic Iraqi restaurant located in the green zone. We ate hummus, fatouch salad, and kabobs along with various other middle eastern dishes. The ambiance reminded me of Florida with outdoor tables surrounded by palm trees, sand and a little green grass. The only things to bring me back to reality were the snipers on the rooftops and sand bags stacked outside the doors for safety in case of a mortar attack.

I am glad I had the opportunity to visit this restaurant before it was made off limits to my unit. The reasoning given for the ban was the food isn't inspected by the military. The rumor around the unit is the ban is because they serve alcohol and the command doesn't want anyone to be tempted to break General Order #1. (No Alcohol)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

General order #1? Heidi, you're a better man than me! That may not be a huge compliment come to think of it! Stay safe!

1:02 AM, April 30, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad you had a pleasant distraction -however brief. We had Kris' final Staff Mtg today-with Thai Traditions. Hate to see her go-but sure don't blame her. You should make a book out of all this-I check everyday to see if there is a new chapter. Love and prayers Jan

5:02 AM, April 30, 2005  
Blogger flip062 said...

Aw man no alcohol, oops, just spilled my beer, the glass was too cold...anyway, can't wait to see you, keep the blogs coming. If you don’t mind I would like to share some of them in class, I guess I could ask you in a private email but you might say no. This way everyone would think you were a meany if you said no so you would have to say yes...heh heh heh! (When you read the heh heh heh, make sure it is a devious heh heh heh.) It would just be your posts we would use, not the responses, along with some of the photos you sent. Anyway, there would be at least one class of students doing a Socratic Seminar using one of your primary source documents; we would compare it to another document or journal from another war. I will even take pictures of the students reading and discussing your life and send them to you. Stay safe, Coles the man, bye for now.

7:01 AM, April 30, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heidi.....I had the same thought as Jan, and had even mentioned it to Jay...you should see about publishing your blogs in a book. I mean it's not everyday a woman, wife and mother reports the various goings on inside and outside the green zone in Baghdad. Maybe it would be a recommended read in the Oprah Book Club!! ...well, just a thought. Now I'm thirsty and am going to crack open a ....uh.... soda...that's right, a soda.
Stay safe.
~Chris W.

3:08 AM, May 02, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home