Saturday, May 07, 2005

Happy Mother's Day

Today I feel very thankful. Thankful that I have the opportunity to wish everyone Happy Mother's Day from way over here in Baghdad. Specifically I want to wish my mom Sylvia, my Grandma Mary, and my mother-in-law Camilla, a wonderful and relaxing day. My unit had everyone sign up for times to use the MWR phone (Morale, Wellness and Recreation) to call home and wish our moms Happy Mother's Day. My assigned time is 1730 Baghdaddy time, or 0830 states time. (So mom and dad, don't tie up the phone at 0830 talking to all your other kids!)

I also want to tell all the other mother's in theatre Happy Mother's Day and wish them safety until they can return home to their loved ones. The role of these women and mothers in the military is changing. I learned quickly the rule banning women from combat is a misnomer. Women aren't allowed in direct combat units such as infantry and special forces, but this doesn't mean they aren't in combat. Women are in Military Police Units, Transportation Units, Engineering Units, and Supply Units. Women are pilots, Commanders, First Sargeants, truck drivers and weapons experts. These women make up 10 percent of the fighting force in Iraq and Afghanistan and have made up 2.32 percent of the 1,595 total American casualties. These military women are mothers, grandmothers, aunts, nieces, daughters and granddaughters. I wish them all safety on this Mother's Day.

And for all you back in the States, make sure and give your mom a big hug and kiss and wish her Happy Mother's Day.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day to you. Sorry you can't be home with Cole-but I thank you for all you are doing. Cole will make it up to you next year. We all love you-Jan

2:51 AM, May 08, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Mothers Day Heidi we all miss you very much.

7:10 AM, May 08, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day to you... I will make sure that I am not on the line when you get the chance to call Mom.

Miss you!

9:19 AM, May 08, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day Mommy. I miss you.

6:57 AM, May 09, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home