Monday, May 23, 2005

International Tensions

Even though the majority of my unit can be considered Fobbits because we rarely leave our compound or venture into the red zone, international tensions still run high. Specifically we have an ongoing battle with the neighboring Brits over several issues.

Before I arrived at the unit there were problems with sewage from the Brits compound backing up into our front yard. It was determined that a larger septic system was needed but the Brits had no interest in chipping in or getting involved. Therefore my unit took care of the problem and then the workers cemented in the Brits septic system so it would no longer dump into our system. Needless to say this got their attention when after a couple days they were wading knee deep in sewage. Everyone laughed out loud as they watched the poo-poo truck make twice daily trips to the Brit compound to empty their overflowing septic system.

My unit thought they had defeated the Brits but they were mistaken. Soon after I arrived we started having lots of electrical blackouts. The first line generator which starts automatically was running almost 25 percent of the time until it finally gave out. Now we are having to manually start up the secondary generator every time the electricity goes out which can be anywhere from twice a day to as frequent as every ten minutes.

You might be asking "How are the Brits involved?". Well, those sneaky dirtballs have been stealing our electricity which has lead to the blackouts and overuse of the generators. Soldiers in my unit are excitedly waiting for the day the electricians will take care of this problem. Plans are currently being made to shut down the Brits access to our electricity and generators. Then we will once again be victorious until the next battle is waged.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like there is a little war within the big war. Chris and I went to K.C. on the weekend for Abby's graduation open house. We played with Ezra and Ruthie first. He can really hit the ball and Ruthie is busy. She can crawl and she listened to a new book we brought to her. Ezra was busy being Darth Vader. We're looking forward to our day with Cole this week and I have some big wooden blocks for him (they were in the attic waiting to be used again). Keep safe and we will see you soon. Love, Mom

3:50 PM, May 24, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Heidi -- Just wanted you to know that I'm still reading all your wonderful stories. I had to catch up as I was out of the office and away from my computer and Shocker Basketball for ten days -- a much, much needed vacation.

Your stories are wonderful, as always, and I'm still waiting for you to come home and write a book.
Remember, the friends you make and the experiences you have in these few LONG months will be with you the rest of your life. You will have shared something none of the rest of us will ever be able to relate to, and your documentation of all this is incredible.

Ron and I went to Las Vegas for a week and my son and his wife from Colorado surprised us and joined us. It was great, especially since I don't see my kids very often.

I'm now back at work and getting back in the swing of working for the man with the most stressful job in Wichita. ha! We're getting ready for June camps and it is crazy here.

You are now on the downswing -- just stay safe -- we think of you every day.

love -- jan bogle

1:01 AM, May 25, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Heidi! I love reading your stories. I just wanted to let you know that we are still reading them. I just don't always have time to send a message back. I read your stories in between entertaining Addison and feeding Georgia Kate.
We are all doing good we are going home next week for a wedding and I think Tommy is going to try and finally hang out with Jay. I don't think they have hung out since January when you all were here in Springfield.
Georgia is doing good she is a great sleeper like Addie was so I feel blessed once again. Addison is having a great time being a big sister she is filling the role nicely!
We can't wait to see you. We will definitely come in town once you are there so we can give you a big hug!
Stay safe and we will see you soon!
Love,
Tom and Stacy Devine

11:58 PM, May 25, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home